I am always in search of great mac n cheese. I found this recipe and tried it. Absolutely incredible. A must add to your holiday dinner or anytime!
- 2 lbs macaroni
- 20 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated (don’t use the preshredded)
- 20 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, freshly grated (don’t use the preshredded)
- 2 lbs velveeta, cubed
- 2 1/2 cups milk (use whole for this or 2%. There is really no use using skim or 1%. I mean… really… with all the cheese?)
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- 1/2 cup butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook your pasta, drain well and set aside.
- While it’s cooking, combine your cheddar and monterey jack cheeses in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Pour your milk into a medium, preferably non stick, pot. Over medium heat, bring the milk to a simmer.
- Add in the velveeta cheese and stir constantly until smooth and completely melted.
- Take about 1/2 cup of the hot milk/cheese mixture and SLOWLY drizzle it into the bowl of beaten eggs, whisking with a fork constantly. When you have it all tempered, slowly pour the egg mixture back into the milk mixture, again stirring constantly.
- Butter a 3 quart baking dish and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Don’t use a smaller one… this makes a LOT of mac and cheese. Pour half of the pasta into the dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and layer the sliced butter all over the top.
- Sprinkle half of the cheddar/jack cheese mixture over the top of the pasta, then pour half of the hot milk/cheese mixture over the top. Repeat this layering one more time.
- Bake at 350 until mac and cheese is bubbly and lightly browned, about 30 minutes.